Sunday, September 20, 2015

Roku 3 Dim/Dark Screen Issue Solved

Solution: Switch the HDMI port. 

The rambling:
I have Roku 3 and an LG LED TV. I started noticing that when I switched the input from TV to Roku, the screen started dimming in a few seconds. I didn't even need to open any app; it was happening on the Roku home screen itself. My TV has two HDMI ports and I had connected Roku to HDMI 2. Changing from HDMI 2 to HDMI 1 helped solve this problem for me. Prior to switching from HDMI 2 port to HDMI 1 port, I tried tweaking the picture settings in my TV and also did a factory reset of Roku and these did not help. Switching to port 1 is the only thing that worked!

6 comments:

  1. My TV allows me to adjust brightness contrast Etc for each HDMI input. So I just had to change those settings for the HDMI port my Roku was attached to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emmett - I was about to give up on my ROKU streaming stick until I saw your comment. When I checked the pic setting on HDMI2 it was set to ECO - set to standard and awesome I can see.

      Delete
  2. I had the random dimming issue with my Roku 3. Very frustrating. Then I tried switching the HDMI port. That fixed it. So I wondered why. I discovered that my TV has several picture modes.... Movie, photo, game, home, retail, custom, etc. When the HDMI picture mode was set to home, the dimming occurred. But when I used custom, it never happened. So the home mode and possibly other ones do something behind the scenes to cause this random dimming. Anyway, the problem is resolved for me.

    BTW, I called Roku support before I found the fix. They were of absolutely no help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same problem. Although i have a smart TV, I had a former Samsung smart TV ended up with bad capacitors so this is stem smart TV. I'm using my roku 3 through xbox one into a sound system. All setting seemed onay, I turned on my xbox Controller and it self corrected the issue, even though it's not like the xbox was on idle ,I just turned it on. Hope this helps some other folks if the initial comments above didnt. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mar 8, 2018: same issue with roku 4 dimmer/ darker than other HDMI sources. My Samsung tv has 3 HDMI inputs. Using tv menu picture settings while viewing tv mode (which was satisfactory brightness), I selected to apply that setting to all sources. Then Roku was just as bright as the other two HDMI input sources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Switched to HMDI 1 and picture other than standard worked on 48 inch smart panasonic tv

    ReplyDelete